I think it’s fair to say that one thing all business owners struggle with is balance.
We like to think we’re good at it, but really, there is always one aspect of our lives that suffers because of our business. Even as a Naturopath, I find it hard.
But I do have a tool that can help you to prioritise what is important, and what can wait.
Hopefully, by being clear about what you really want, you can strike that balance and not succumb to burnout like so many do.
A happy, healthy life is about balance, and for me there are 4 areas or pillars that need to be thought about consciously:
- Your health – including physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health
- Your finances – how you achieve greater freedom and choices in your life
- Your relationships – one of the greatest assets in business and life
- Your career – feeling purposeful and fulfilled
Unfortunately, a lot of people tend to focus just on career or financial health, but neglect their health and relationships.
To get started:
- Write down every goal you can think of under each heading. Don’t limit yourself by time or money.
- Go back through your goals and circle the ones that you really want to focus on this year. I always say that you are better to have 4-5 important goals that you will achieve, rather than 100 goals you do half-heartedly.
- Turn these ideas into SMART goals – come up with a plan on how you will actually achieve them. For example, if your goal is to ‘get fit’, an achievable goal is to ‘go to the gym 3 times per week’.
- Hang your goals somewhere you see them regularly, like the fridge.
By being clear on your goals for each area of your life and how you plan to achieve them, it becomes a lot easier to see the day-to-day things that are sucking up your time and energy and are not helping you become happier or healthier.
While I normally do this at the beginning of every year, it is never too late to start! It is so important to have a 12 month, 5 year and even 10 year plan to avoid becoming overwhelmed and help you prioritise what really matters.
Peter Mullen is a Hamilton-based Naturopath and one of the top naturopaths in Australia, with more than 25 years of experience in the industry. He has turned his love of helping people into a successful business, treating thousands of clients along the way. Peter built his business on the principles of honesty, integrity and respect, and believes he owes much of his success to upholding these principles. As well as leading the practice, Peter is also a sought-after speaker on issues of natural health and deliver talks to audiences across the country.