This year the Hunter Region Business Excellence Awards received almost 200 nominations for their 27 categories. From this there were 67 finalists named, with the winners announced on Friday, 23 September 2016.
Business of the Year was awarded to Taste of the Country, who had earlier in the night taken out the Hospitality and Tourism award.
Taste of the Country is a café and retail outlet located at the Hunter Valley Gardens, which has been operating for over 15 years.
Hunter Region BEC Manager, Kerry Hallett said that the judges worked hard throughout August to come to their final decisions.
“The standard of applications was exceptional,” Kerry said. “Businesses were reviewed by three judges – two who read the applications and scored twelve questions for a maximum of 95 points each. The site visits accounted for up to 55 of the overall marks, scored over eight areas.”
This year the event was held at Club Maitland City in Rutherford, with Andrew Hughes as MC and Markey Lane as the entertainment for the evening.
Please see below for a full list of winners.
- Hospitality and Tourism – Taste of the Country
- Highly Commended – Remington Motor Inn
- Internet-based business – Jezweb
- Highly Commended – Kurl Web
- Hairdressing/Beauticians – Total Beauty and Health
- Retail – Setsuko Ogishi Art Glass Studio
- Business Services – TFC Services Pty Ltd
- Highly Commended – Kis Marketing
- Health Services – Body & Mind 2000
- Construction/Trades/etc. – Valley Electrical & Air Pty Ltd
- Financial/Real Estate – Heffron Consulting Pty Ltd
- Not for Profit – Newcastle MBA Group Training
- Innovation – Beyond Ballooning
- General Business – Newcastle Security (NSC) Pty Ltd
- Home Based Business – Newcastle Heritage and Ghost Tours
- New Start Business – Booksmart Accounting Solutions
- Highly Commended – Premium Windows Pty Ltd
- Highly Commended – Preventative Electrical Services Pty Ltd
- Environmental – Banjos Bushland Retreat
- NEIS – Curlew Cottage
- Highly Commended – Artistical Stacey Cakes
- Customer Service Business – Conveyancing Services
- Customer Service Individual – Fiona Morris
- Young Entrepreneur – Brendan Hughes
- Business Woman – Christine Atkins
- Business Leader – Bryce Gibson
- Business of the Year – Taste Of the Country
Image | Taste of the Country award winners
The Hunter Region BEC is one of over 100 BEC's that operate nationally to provide new and existing micro, small and medium business clients with practical assistance in business planning, advice on marketing, budgeting and cash flow.
The assistance offered by the Hunter Region BEC is independent and confidential. Fees are cost-effective and affordable. HRBEC can assist in the areas of the establishment of new small business enterprises and existing small to medium enterprises who are experiencing issues, want to grow , or just want to be better.