The 25th Hunter Region Business Excellence Awards has acknowledged local businesses achieving great results for their clients and the local community.
Award recipients were announced at a Gala Dinner at Club Maitland City at the end of September.
Genea Newcastle Pty Ltd came out as the shining star, having taken out the Professional Services category as well as the overall Business of the Year category. The business provides medical assistance to those who wish to start or add to their families.
Magnetic Shots, Kurl Web and Gymnastics 21 were close runners up for the overall award. Judges said that all four businesses demonstrated first-class operations, excellent customer service and outstanding products and services.
The awards are the initiative of Hunter Region Business Hub and one of the longest running business awards in the Hunter region.
Manager of the Hub, Kerry Hallet said over 100 businesses from across the hunter Valley competed for the four major awards and 15 category awards, and judges were impressed by the quality of businesses entering.
“All of the 60 finalists were exceptional businesses in their overall operations, service, products, presentation and customer service,” Kerry said.
“On the night, it was great to see everyone – businesses owners, staff, supporters and sponsors – mingling, connecting and supporting each other.
“We know there are many good businesses in our region through those that enter the awards, however, we also know that is only fraction of the organisations pursing excellence in the region. It would be wonderful to see many more entrants showcasing their business next year.”
Winners of the awards included:
- Business of the Year – Genea Newcastle Pty Ltd
- Business Leader of the Year – Andrew Beattie from PKF in Newcastle
- Business Woman of the Year – Simone Palfreyman from Palfreyman Chartered Accountants
- Young Entrepreneur – Samantha Nicholls from Gymnastics 21
- Hospitality and Tourism Sarah Fenton – MTA Mobile Travel Agent
- Internet Based Business – Kurl Web
- Personal Services – Salon Ten
- Professional Services – Genea Newcastle Pty Ltd
- Health Services – Kirkwoods Institute of Karate
- Trade and Industry – Coalfields Climate Control Pty Ltd
- Financial and Real Estate Services – Merchant Business Brokers Pty Ltd
- Not-for-profit Business – Survivor’s R Us Incorporated
- Home Based Business – Magnetic Shots Pty Ltd
- General Business – Hunter Pet Motel Pty Ltd
- Aboriginal Business – McAllister Legal Services
- New Start Business – Gymnastics 21
- NEIS Business of the Year – Achieving Solutions Nursing Services
- Customer Service (Individual) – Shane Meister from Network ICT
- Customer Service (Whole Business) – Cessnock Performing Arts Centre
Category highly commended certificates
- Personal Services – Shear Abilities
- Health Services – Achieving Solutions Nursing Services
- Not-for-profit Business – Newcastle MBA Group Training
- New Start Business – True Chocolate & Ice Creamery Lounge
- Business Woman of the Year – Ann-Maria Martin from Survivor’s R Us Inc
IMAGE | Business of the Year at the Hunter Region Business Excellence Awards, Genea Newcastle Pty Ltd.
Hunter Region Business Hub is one of over 100 BEC’s that operate nationally to provide new and existing micro, small and medium business clients with practical assistance in business planning, advice on marketing, budgeting and cash flow.
The assistance offered by the Hunter Region Business Hub is independent and confidential.
The Hub can assist in the areas of the establishment of new small business enterprises and existing small to medium enterprises who are experiencing issues, want to grow, or just want to be better.