Newcastle Now recently launched its revitalised City Ambassador Program at a special event at the Tower Cinemas, with 56 volunteers from a wide variety of vocations, ages and cultures now registered with the Association.
“A recent recruitment drive captured the interest of people from all walks of life, each of whom shares a common interest in being part of the ongoing revitalisation of Newcastle,” Newcastle Now Executive Manager, Michael Neilson, said.
“We have local and international university students, professionals including accountants, architects, and a chief executive officer from a human resources agency; as well as school leavers, semi-retired and retirees.”
The Program has been in trial operation since 1 November 2016 and features five unique roles:
- Visitor Service Ambassador – to enhance the visitor experience by providing information to international and domestic tourists (including cruise ships), city residents and people visiting from surrounding areas.
- City Monitor Ambassador – to follow a routine schedule, walking all streets of the city precincts identifying and recording areas of risk requiring attention and repair.
- Business Referrals Ambassador – to welcome new businesses to the city centre and engage with existing businesses to keep them up to date with business activity.
- Promotional Ambassador – to navigate key areas informing visitors and businesses about upcoming events and activities in Newcastle.
- Event Ambassador – to assist by providing services at events within Newcastle such as event setup, set down and acting as guides.
“The benefit of having so many volunteers active throughout the city centre is that it creates a people presence and establishes a welcoming visitor environment which is a win for everyone.”
The new City Ambassadors have each participated in an extensive training program in partnership with TAFE New South Wales fee free training courses, this included Customer Service and Conflict Resolution Training in Frontline Management, with many of the ambassadors electing to undertake an assessment task to become officially accredited.
Future Training Initiatives include a customised Destination Ambassador program offered by TAFE NSW – Sydney that focusses on three series: Delivering Destination Services, Specialist Advice and Supporting Destination events.
IMAGE | Ambassadors at the official launch
Newcastle Now is your local Business Improvement Association, representing businesses in Newcastle city centre across four Precincts: Civic, Darby Street, East End and West End.
Our goal is to improve business activity in the city. Improvements can be as simple as a new community garden, laneway or mural or as complex as working with key organisations to initiate future change such as developing ideas and infrastructure for Newcastle to become one of the world’s leading smart cities.
We aim to collaborate with local business owners, operators and their employees to make working in the city more convenient, more profitable, more innovative, and ultimately more enjoyable.